Thursday, October 17, 2013

This is Absurd

This is Absurd!

I was given a link to an article about a "big 10 game" that is going peanut free, so that those with peanut allergies can enjoy going to a football game without the worries of having a reaction while there.

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/66513/absurd-big-ten-football-game-to-be-peanut-free-in-PC-deference-to-peanut-allergies/

The link is right above this... Feel free to read the article... Actually I want to encourage you to read the article before reading the rest of this blog post!


After reading the article, I read a couple of the comments below, and honestly had to start laughing. The whole thing is absurd...

1- it is absurd that people can be so insensitive to others that have food allergies, or for that matter for those that have any sort of disabilities.

2- it is absurd that people can write an article, and even comments, about something they really know nothing about.

3- it is absurd that there are kids and adults alike have food allergies, it isn't like any of us planned on having them, but we just have to deal with it.


Here is the bottom line... I can't say that I agree or disagree with this article. This is how this lady feels about a peanut free game, and she has every right to feel this way. How come she has to be restricted on something that doesn't affect her? Let's be honest... Are you insensitive to things that don't affect you? If you answered no, then you are lying to yourself, because we are all insensitive in someway to something that ends up messing things up for us. So who are we to judge her or anyone who feels this way.

I wonder if part of this had anything to do with people, parents, kids, who have put up such a stink to make sure that things happen in a way that makes it "normal" for them. My guess is, this lady has had some sort of interaction with someone with food allergies and it wasn't a pleasant one. We can all be guilty of pushing things on other people, and it can all be in the name of "doing what is best for our kids," "living a normal life or moment" "not having to worry," "being like everyone else." We are all selfish in our own way, wanting things to be "normal" for us.... And here is the deal... Everyone's normal looks different.

So what the heck am I saying? Is this lady right? No.... Are we right? Not necessarily...

At this point, some of you might think, how can you write about this topic or even give this article any of your time? Listen... I  have severe food allergies and have had them my entire life - before food allergies was even a thing... And not just one food allergy... But the top 4 categories of allergies (out of 8)... People, I have almost died from a reaction... I was subject to all of this before there was any kind of FDA restrictions, certain labeling, cross contamination, the works, so don't sit there reading this thinking that I don't understand your situation... Believe me when I say... Or don't believe me... But I get it a whole lot more than you will ever know. My parents didn't advocate for me to have all these specials things, or for all these people to bend over backwards for me. They did what they could to keep me safe, bring food to places we were going, etc, but I was treated like a normal everyday person, I just happen to also have food allergies. You ask my brothers, and they will tell you just the same thing... That was Aimee... She had to watch out for the things that she ate, but we didn't treat her any differently, she was just our sister. That's it... Now understand, I do know that there are people out there that are severely allergic to peanuts to the point that a simple smell will cause an allergic reaction (I know I have the smelling reaction as well). I am not saying that they shouldn't have peanut free games... I am all for them... I do think that it is great... But we all have to be realistic about living in society.... It isn't always going to be like that. I encountered many people, growing up who never got it, and were very insensitive to it, but guess what that is life... There are always going to be people like that.

I already know that many of you are probably ready to fire back with, well you don't know me or my child's situation... You are right, I don't, but then again, you have no idea what I went through or what my family went through without the internet or heck, even just having another family with food allergies to bounce ideas off of. It was just us dealing with it everyday. They paved the way for you... I paved the way for you... And I continue to, because I never grew out of my allergies... Why you ask... I don't know....

But sometimes I wonder, I just wonder, if it was the opportunity to write this.....

Never underestimate what someone around you has been through before you make judgements, either way... The fact is, I didn't want to live in a bubble, and I am glad that I continue to fight to live a normal life, while staying safe.... And not just living, but thriving! I sincerely hope that those with peanut allergies that are going to the game have a fantastic time, not having to worry... Believe when I say... I understand, and I am happy that they are doing that, but remember that life is never going to be fully like that, and well you just have to say ok, and continue on with an incredible journey of a lifetime living YOUR life!

No comments:

Post a Comment